Olivier salad, known as Persian Chicken salad, is a popular alteration of the Russian potato salad in Iran. The main recipe for this salad is slightly different than the original version, as it’s made with chicken breasts. It’s one of the most beloved Persian street food, that you can also find it as a delicious bite or side dish in Persian gatherings.
Ingredients for Salad Olivieh
You only need a few ingredients to make the Persian version of the salad Olivieh. Potato, eggs, pickled cucumbers, chicken breasts, and mayonnaise sauce are the main ingredients you need. You can also add carrots and green peas to the mixture.
How to prepare salad Olivieh?
First of all, you need to cook the chicken with salted water, onions, and bay leaves. Also, wash the carrots and potatoes, and trim the end of the carrots. You can cook the potatoes and carrots together in salted water. Boil the eggs, and blanch the sweet peas. Allow all the ingredients to cool before going to the next step.
Then, remove all the water from the cooked chicken, put it aside and shred the chicken breasts. You can add some of the chicken bouillon, salt, pepper, and lime to the mayonnaise sauce. Peel and dice or grate potatoes and carrots, and dice the pickled cucumber and eggs into very small pieces.
Add the shredded chicken, grated potatoes, carrots, diced pickled cucumbers and sweet peas to a bowl. Add the mayonnaise sauce, lime, salt, and pepper to your taste. Use a spatula to mix all the ingredients. The mixture has to cool down in the refrigerator for a few hours before being ready to be eaten.
How the serve the Persian Chicken salad
Finally, it’s time for serving the Salad Olivieh – Persian Chicken Salad. You can enjoy it along with pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, and bread. Salad Olivier is not only a nice side dish but also a delicious sandwich that you can try at a picnic or as street food.
Olivieh Salad – Persian Chicken Salad
- 300 grams chicken breast
- 4 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 cup pickled cucumbers finely diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 onions
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1 lime
- bay leaf optional
- salt and pepper
- Cook the chicken breast, potatoes, carrots and sweet peas in salted boil water.
- Finely dice the pickled cuucmbers. Shredd the chicken breast, and x potatoes and carrots.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Let the mixture cool overnight.
- You can add paprika, corn, ham or sausages to the Olivier salad.
- You can not add carrots and sweet peas if you don’t like the taste.
- Do not grate the pickled cucumbers. You are going to end up with a watery Olivier salad if you add grated pickles to your mixture.
- In case you want to have a healthier version of Olivier salad, you can substitute some of the mayonnaise with yogurt.